*$&$@#$%^*&$%#@#$@!_+

---------

From: jtowle (thetowles_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 17:26:09 PDT

*WARNING!* I need to complain for a minute. If you don't want the negative energy to permeate your aura, then stop reading now! :)

The Super's secretary in our district makes 30grand+ and has only been there a few years. She has a newly furnished cubical that looks pretty, smells great and never has a broken A/C. She gets 1 hour for lunch.

A first year teacher will make 24, and it will take 8 years of service or $10,000 of personal out of pocket graduate hours to reach $30,000. And, of course, 30 years and MS +60 will still only yeild 39,000. We get 25 minutes of lunch, climate control only 50% of the time, and the pleasure of hormonal teenaged body odor.

What's wrong with this picture?

A student of mine a few years back went to vo-tech a few semesters and became a certified electrician. He's already making more than I ever will.

*sigh*

Why are we doing this again?

A few years back, in an attempt to appease teachers who were dissatisfied about the amount of paid prep/inservice hours they were given, our district began a regular once-or-twice-a-month inservice. So now, the students get monthly 3-day weekends to refresh and we have to sit through 8 hours of BORING meetings at which we're supposed to act like we really understand what NCA or QPA is all about. In fact in October alone, the kids will get 6, count them.. SIX DAYS OFF that teachers will have to work.

(imagine a WHINEY voice)...I wouldn't mind a 3-day weekend every now and then that doesn't require me making sub plans. Heck, I'd even take year-around schooling if it meant that I could get more than a short weekend refresher for 3 months strait.

Ok. I feel better. Thanks. Is there a spell checker on this contraption?

JT

---