Re: Teaching and kids - long to Melissa

---------

From: Sandy (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 16:44:33 PDT

Melissa,

It's hard to find a balance especially if you are always trying to improve what
you do, be super mom and super wife at the same time. Organization is a big
part of it, but the other is a plain old desire to just be your best at
everything you do.

Sometimes you have to ask yourself if all the extra work you do at school is
making a difference to the kids that you teach. I have found that they can
sometimes get away with much less. I'm the one that never feels satisfied that
I have crammed absolutely every last bit of info into the lesson, or hung every
last piece of artwork to wow all who enter the school, or perfected that
newsletter home to the parents.

I look back now to the times I was working three jobs; substitute teacher,
picture framer and free-lance artist. My kids were still in middle and
highschool, my husband traveled every week and it wasn't unusual for me to be
up until two a.m finishing that last pen and ink or the last load of wash.

From three jobs I took on the job of director of a new childcare facility that
my best friend and I started. There were many nights that I should have gone
home to the kids that needed me most...my own. Luckily, I am blessed with good
kids who could have really resented my absence but instead tried toibe
understanding of their ol' mom was so driven. I gave that same energy to them
when I was with them, or rushed to get to their sports or band performances.
My husband was the one who really got short changed. I was exhausted and he
was sadly the last on the list many times.

In that regard you have to be careful of the example you set for your own
kids. My son felt that as a junior in college he should be able to handle all
that he had committed himself to; a change in majors, captain of the karate
team, senior EMT on campus, volunteer fireman, twenty-four hour a week job,
etc. Please, I'm not bragging, but making the point that when he called and
told me he didn't feel like getting out of bed in the morning a BIG red flag
went up. I knew that feeling! He was on his way to a major depression.
Fortunately, we were able to jump in and help. But, he had two parents that
were dedicated professionals (workaholics) overcommitted, and we were doing it
all, weren't we? BIG lesson learned here.

So, take the advice of an old woman and don't burn yourself out and put your
own children and family first on your list...and take care of yourself.

Sandy

Melissa wrote:

> I'm not condemning teachers who leave at realease time. I look up to them.
> I wish I was organized enough to be like them. I'm sorry if anyone took my
> post the wrong way. I just want more time for my family yet still be a
> strong teacher.

---