Re: Teaching and kids

---------

From: Joe Cox (bjcoxteachart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 16:02:45 PDT

Melissa, I hear you. I am an "empty nester" but even though I don't have the demands of a family it is still hard to not let the demands of school overshadow your personal life. I too want to be a great teacher and come up with WOW YOU lesson plans but it is hard to find the time to do the research, make power point presentation, make copies of articles or artwork, etc, plus so much of the time I have to pay for it out of my own pocket. I understand your frustration.

My artwork is very important to me but it always gets put on the back burner. I so far this year has been a little easier. I use my planning time a little more productively (hiding form teachers who just want to shoot the breeze). I don't volunteer as much and I keep my commitments so about one committee a year. I don't go to every after school activities like football games and dance shows. But I do try to show my support during the school day. I have put a greater focus on having the students clean up because like I tell them one of the learning objectives of the year is to learn how to work in an art studio and part of that is cleaning up after yourself. One thing I am going to do this week is divide the students up into groups and each group will be responsible for a certain area to clean after each student clean as an individual. On group will clean the sink, one will clean wedging table, one will make sure all the tools are put where they belong etc.,. Each month the groups will get a new cleaning assignment. We will see how this works.

It has gotten better but it is still a struggle. I have read a lot of advise on this thread and it sounds like this is a common situation within our profession.

Blessings,
Joe

P.S. Instead of all the in-services on stuff we will never use. Why don't they do one on time management. Just a thought.