Re: Teaching and kids

---------

From: fedd (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 14:32:23 PDT

on 9/3/02 11:35 AM, jtowle at thetowles@yahoo.com wrote:

> We do not get paid enough to live at school. I get tired of gung-ho
> administrators and overachieving coworkers 'expecting' us to go the extra mile
> because thats 'just what teacher's are supposed to do

Wow, did this push my button. I cannot compete with my co worker who
literally lives at the school. He is single and lives with his parents.
The students are his real friends. He leads an alternative school after
hours--plays, tech crew, every committee going, art club, service club. etc.
etc. The kids love him--he's always available. Problem is, his teaching
methods are pretty bad--does the same art projects over and over every year,
puts cartoons on for the kids every day, paints sets in the corner. Most of
my efforts go into class work and A.P. Alot of students resent my "art is
serious" attitude in this milliieu of "fun." It's frustrating. Peggy

---