contour drawing using "sign"

---------

From: Caryl Dahn (cdahn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 08:47:19 PDT

I have my students do contour drawings of their initials on 9 X 18
inch paper in "sign". Not only do they learn some basic "signing"
(another form of visual communication, symbol system), but they
practise contour drawing. The actual letters of their initials must
be designed and incorporated in the drawing as well as the drawing of
an object that starts with the letters. The objects and letters
could be drawn in their contour drawings of the hands or overlap
behind them. It gives them many options for creativity and design. I
give them extra credit if they can sign the entire alphabet.

--
Caryl Dahn
7-12  Visual Art