RE: Teaching and kids

---------

From: jtowle (thetowles_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 08:35:24 PDT

I have a 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old. My husband, who is also a teacher, and I made conscious changes to our life philosophy when we decided to have kids. It includes the following ideas:

1. Family comes first.
B. Don't give so many assignments that need to be 'graded' at home.
3. Remind coworkers that there is a limit to how many meetings can be legally expected of you after contracted hours.
D. A clean house does not make a family.
5. A 'good' teacher can impact students just as a 'great' one can. Let the singles and empty nesters strive for greatness.

When you're 95 years old and take a look back on all the great and wonderful things you did in your life, will be staying late at school be one of them? No. Spending time with family will.

We do not get paid enough to live at school. I get tired of gung-ho administrators and overachieving coworkers 'expecting' us to go the extra mile because thats 'just what teacher's are supposed to do' . No, actually they're taking advantage of us and we're letting it happen. Teachers rarely get raises because Administrators and BOE's know that we'll teach regardless.

(Oooopsss...sorry. I think I just stood on one of my soap boxes. Apologize for the harshness of my opinion!)

There is a 'however' to this. Some people have a PASSION for teaching. If teaching is your PASSION in life, then is it so bad spending extra time on it? My REAL passion is neither teaching nor art, so I find it easier to live by the aforementioned ideas. I can see both sides. To each her own.

---