RE: Teaching and kids

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 05:10:31 PDT

I have three boys - 16, 14 and 10... I leave as soon as school is out -
3:15.... that is my family's time - I can't expect any parent of a child I
teach to make their child a priority unless I make mine a priority -
my husband and I both teach - we both leave... no I can't bring a lot
home - but I may do some work at home - not much... I use to do more when
my children were little -
I spend 2 hours after school dropping off, picking up and running errands -
I have every trip timed perfectly - like a game -
dinner is early - then family time - either homework, reading, playing,
talking... I exercise from 9:30 - 11:00 and may stop back by school on the
way home for a few minutes just to check on things - I use to come back for
several hours....

However - if there is a special event or project I put in the extra time -
my husband and I are both active on the state level and have taken on other
responsibilities - but we coordinate... and say 'no' if we have to -

Delegate more in the classroom - I always tell kids that it is my classroom
but their studio - expedite grading - what are you looking for? How do you
report? Set up parent volunteers - accept that you can't do it all - and
cross some things off your list -

go home to your family -
Ellen

---