Teaching and kids

---------

From: Marian Colman (colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 03:16:00 PDT

Melissa,
I understand your concerns. My children are grown and gone and I still
struggle with the amount of time I spend at school.( I was lucky to be able
to be home with them while they were young). Now I am mostly concerned about
taking care of myself and having time with my husband. If I give everything
to the job, as much as I love it, I will end up feeling resentful, getting
run down or sick. I believe it is important to leave a little time for
yourself. If I leave school by 3, then I can fit in a 2 or 3 mile run
before it gets dark, or just come home and read the paper or write emails.
That is important to me, so my colleagues and I have arranged things so that
each of us stays late one day, and on all the others I try to leave by 3 if
not before. ( we can leave at 2:15). I get done what I can and then somehow
do the rest the next day. I rarely bring work home except for at grading
time. With small children, it is even more important for you to allow time
to spend with them. Just do it--maybe it will mean you won't do some of the
extras you would like to do, but that's okay. I think it's important so
that you don't get burned out at the job and at home as well. Fitting in
time for yourself sounds like a luxury with all you have to do, but it would
be great if you could do that-- maybe 15 minutes in a bubble bath would be
the place to start!
Good luck,
Marian

---