RE: Teaching and kids

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 20:27:15 PDT

Please don't start condemning all teachers who leave at release time.
Art teachers have it hard, because there is so much of your work that
you can't take home. I leave between 3:30 - 4:00, because if I leave
then I get home around 4:00 - 4:30. If I leave after 4:15 I get home
between 5:30 - 7:30. (going opposite the traffic wonder why the Olympic
Committee didn't like Houston). If I do stay I don't get anything done,
I just can't think in the afternoons. I come home, ride my bike, eat
dinner, then grade papers and develop materials till bedtime. Get to
work between 6:00 - 6:30 (report time is 7:30), can not get in much
earlier.

I spent today a holiday, developing new vocab units, revising spelling
units, finishing a science experience, and developing and printing 25
copies of materials about the Silk Road, African Kingdoms, Marco Polo,
and the invention of the Compass for a Unit on the economic reasons for
European Expansion (5th grade).

Something some of the other teachers on my campus have come up with is
one day a week (Wednesday for most) they stay LATE (some as late as 9 pm
we can stay as late as 11 pm) to get stuff done, but they leave before 4
on all the other days.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert