Teaching and kids

---------

From: Melissa (meemo_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 19:36:40 PDT

Hello all,

I see all these posts about pregnancies and teaching art. Yeah it was hard,
but lately I'm having more trouble. My boys are 2 and 6. I leave at 6a.m.
for work. My husband takes them to day care. My school starts at 7:00 a.m.
I'm allowed to leave at 3p.m. But do I? Heck no? You know the routine?
Clean up, set up for next day, grade sketchbooks or projects, do planning,
go to meetings... It's never ending. I dont waste my plan time either. I've
been teaching for 11 years I'm afraid of burn out. I LOVE art, I love my
job but I feel sorry for my kids. I pick them up about 5 p.m. Then dinner,
sometimes soccer of flag football practice. Then bed. The my job
continues.. cleaning, laundry, picking up, packing lunches for the next day
and I crash about 11 p.m. No time for poor hubby or myself. I love summer.
I get caught up on family and chores around the house. But when school
starts full time I go through this again. I think about those people with
desk jobs that they can leave when their day is over. If I don't finish at
school I bring it home.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining I understand what goes along with
working and raising kids right; but does anyone have any shortcuts???

I see some teachers leave at 3p.m. daily. How do they do it?? I still
wan't to be a great teacher. My career is important to me. Any advice?

Melissa Chaney
Ray-pec High School
Raymore Peculiar Schools, MO

---