Need Teachers' Opinion Not Art related

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 18:31:06 PDT

Sorry for sending this to an Art list, but I value your opinions on
ethics issues so -

Our TAKS coordinator gave our kids a math test last week. After the
classroom teachers looked over the test and approved it, she added a few
problems so they would not count as much each. The problem is that while
we are covering decimals none of us expected the children to have
mastered comparing them yet. I turned in the results to her, but for my
grade book I'm throwing out the bad problems. The problem I'm
encountering is a few kids got those problems right while making
careless mistakes on others. Throwing out the "bad problems" actually
will lower their grades from a B to a D. So I decided to go on a case by
case basis, I refigured the students grades and took the higher grade. A
team member called and I mentioned what I was doing, and she objected.
She isn't changing the grades. She says if I am I have to do it the same
for everyone. I'm going to check with the team leader tomorrow, but what
do you think?

Sincerely,

Kimberly Herbert

---