Re: contour drawing-long

---------

From: Sandy (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 18:32:16 PDT

San D,

This is great! What fun you are! At the elementary level, I have one of the
kids pose and ask the rest of the class if they could lay the student down on a
piece of paper or stand him/her in front of one, would that make it easier to
draw the contour lines? If they had a piece of glass hanging in front of the
model, do they think that they could draw the contours or trace his/her body?
Of course, they all say "Yea." Well, what if you wanted to draw an elephant?
Is your paper big enough?

I ask them to do draw with their finger imagining that the glass was in place.
When they are finished, I ask them to do the same with their pencils on the big
paper in front of them.

I have already shown them several examples of contour line drawing. They love
to model and the drawings don't turn out badly at all. I sit at a desk toward
the end of the class and do them, too. I give them to the kids.

Their assignment for the next class is to wear clean socks. They look at me
like I'm crazy (so what else is new?) and don't tell them why. That next week
they take off their shoes and do contour line drawings of them. These turn out
really nicely.

I can't wait to try the marker and water wash. Thanks for the idea!!!

Gosh, I missed this list!
Sandy

KPRS wrote:

> For the beginner high schoolers, their first experience with contour drawing
> is when the come to the room and see me up on one of their tables waiting
> for them.

---