Re: re-intro and question about extra preps

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 12:39:00 PDT

I hope you didn't get a salary cut too! I would make myself as useful as
I could in the classrooms...offer to help classroom teachers come up with
ideas that they can do along with the units they present, guest teach the
artwork somehow. Offer to go into the history classes and teach some art
history going with the period they are studying. Offer the math teacher
some units on mandalas, geometric design, etc., Offer the language arts
teacher some units to complement what they are reading. Whatever you do,
for your own good and that of the program, don't sit back and look
insignificant. For one thing, you'll get bored, and for another, if you
don't make your presence known they might forget how valuable you are!
Wow, these budget cuts are scary. I work in a private school where the
arts are a big thing, but I know the stock market must be effecting the
powers that be everywhere. Our endowments and annual giving programs in
private are used to fund programs and teacher pay increases, among other
things like scholarship funds. Scary times. But the arts are even more
vital in a fragile world with so many concerns of late. Be obvious and be
helpful! Best of luck this year.

---