Re: more on contour drawing

---------

arcement_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 16:30:49 PDT

Mike, I have just finished doing the a contour project with my Jr. High
students. I teach two classes to Jr. High and two Art I classes. I have
done this for three years now and I have discovered that kids can handle
anything that you expect of them if handled with care and enthusiasm. I
tried using a lesson plan from the book by Sandy Brooke's book called
"Hooked on Drawing!" this year. We just finished it and I think it was
successful. It is biting-off a bit if you aren't used to this age group.
But these kids did well for me this time. You might want to take a look at
this book and follow her sequence. It has worked well and it seemed to be
in the proper sequence for the students to understand. I find that you have
to know it this particular class of 7th and 8th graders is a "good" bunch or
not. In other words some classes of Jr. Highers are very immature and have
a generally lower tolerance for intellectual challenges, while others are
able to handle interesting projects and will thrive on the challenges. This
year I do seem to have a pretty good bunch! Anyway, I am trying to do
something for my Jr. High students that will be trackable when I have them
in High School. I'm trying, after the third year of teaching, to get a
system of what I present to my students. Remember, it takes time to feel
secure as a teacher and experience will give you alot to draw from. You
also have "ArtsEdNet Talk" folks to back you and encourage you, and I had
not discovered this network yet, so keep asking us questions and using the
info in order to establish a system for yourself and your type of students.
I still, at times, feel uncomfortable with a method of presentation or a
particular lesson idea that I come up with. I think that's a sign of a
conscientious art teacher, don't you. Anyway, experimentation is part of
the teaching process...

Don't stress-out,
Idus in southern Mississippi