Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

Re: New school nightmares

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 09:45:09 PDT


from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us)
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
http://www.lcms.srvusd.k12.ca.us/newKramer/KramerMain.html
*******************************************

>From: linda eastman <lindacharlie@wwnet.net>
> this all reminds me of the old joke:
> Q. what's a camel?
> A. a horse designed by a committee> some years ago...

Couldn't say it better myself!

(snips)
> i think the key here is to somehow weasel our way into the design process
> however we can! maybe this can happen by keeping our ears to the ground and
> finding out in advance if any plans are being made to upgrade our rooms.... i
seized this opportunity to present> a solid case for having a dedicated art
room.... i'll be getting a new counter top with a penninsula and an
> additional sink; vertical and flat storage areas for large size
> paper/folders, etc. plus a whole wall of functional sized cupboards. the
> kiln is still in the boiler room but i'm not complaining. now that i realize
> how things happen like this, i plan to keep my principal informed that i
> WANT to be consulted about possible changes even if it's summer vacation,
> and give her a wish list such as "if you ever decide to downsize the lobby,
> please CALL ME! i could capture a closet there!"

Don't think you're out of the woods here and that what they tell you "will
happen"...even if it's been promised. That's why I said..."GET IT IN
WRITING". I'm serious. I went through the "planning stage" (3 times!) and
actually wrote on the blueprints what I wanted with the architect and the
principal and a board member sitting right there with me. I didn't have the
smarts to write it down on a piece of paper and have ONE of those people
sign it to P=R=O=V=E that it had been okayed.

When I went to complain about the TV being in the wrong place due to window
glare and the overhead screen being in the wrong place for the same reason
(which I had said several times at the blueprint meeting), all I got was,
"It's not written in the floor plans". I didn't have any recourse or PROOF
that it had been talked about or that someone had fiddled with the floor
plans with an eraser.

I didn't INSIST on checking what the tables were going to look like because
I said I wanted new tables JUST like the older ones and the designer said,
"Trust me". Big mistake.

I had assumed that the cabinets would have doors....silly me. Those were
re-ordered at least for MOST of the cabinets. I STILL have a couple of
cabinets without doors. I call them my "big, thick, extra-deep shelves". Ha.

The computer outlet was put in a corner of a room where my desk will not
fit. I actually had the construction supervisor, the principal, and the
superintendent of our huge district standing in my room while I taught class
last spring arguing over who's fault is was that it was not done correctly.
The outlet is STILL there by the way and I have a bright blue wire running
across half of the room so I can get connected.

Nothing can be changed for a year after construction is totally finished at
our school. Now they won't change anything because, as they say, "If you
change for one, EVERYBODY will want changes". Great logic for screwing
things up, wouldn't you say?!

I could go on but I won't bore you because the story is always the same.
They screw it up but it stays anyway. GET - IT - IN - WRITING!!!!!!!!!! and
don't believe promises...even from your principal. They seem to have just as
much clot as you do! Toodles.....Bunki

---