Re: HS/MS art textbooks

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 08:03:33 PDT

From: doug mcglothlin <dmcgl@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:34:28 -0400
>I'm a graduate art ed student and I'm taking a course on content
> area reading. We're supposed to bring in a MS/HS art textbook
> to help develop some lesson plans.
> -Doug, West Palm Beach, FL

I have several texts and books, but I am at home at the moment, and have
only one here. It is called "ArtTalk" by Rosalind Ragans, published by
Glencoe Publishing Company copyright 1988....

You may be aware of this Doug, many are not...but if you type at least 100
words from some part of the beginning of the book, and put in one paragraph,
then somewhere in the middle, and once again toward the end...you can go to
the "Tools" of the toolbar (this is in Microsoft Word), move your cursor
down to the "Options" selection and up will come a window (like a recipe
box) with tabs. Click onto "Spelling and Grammar" and then make sure to
check the box "Show Readability Statistics"

Then highlight your sample (one large 100 word paragraph at a time), doing
the beginning, middle and end of book separately. Once highlighted run your
spellcheck, and when spelling is completely a window will ask if you want to
continue to the remainder of the document? You click on "NO" and a window
with come up showing the statistics, the readability or best grade level for
this text according to Flesch studies.

The reason for doing this three times from various areas of the book is to
check consistency throughout. For example, the average I came up with for
"ArtTalk" was grade 7.7 or nearly 8th grade level...with an ease of 68.1%

Its good to know if your reading "content" is directed at a level students
can for the most part absorb/understand. I have begun the habit to even
check my own writing from time to time to determine if its appropriate for
those it is intended for.
Larry Seiler
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---