Re: Contour drawing

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 01 2002 - 06:23:16 PDT

We will be starting contour line drawing in my high school art class this
week.

I have my students work on 3 final drawings, each one dealing with different
subject matter (still life, figurative, landscape). Even though we use
continuous contour line on all 3, the range of observation and drawing
skills that are employed are quite different due to subject, perspective and
the variety of detail needed to be conveyed in the various compositions.

I have them practice drawing their own hands in a variety of poses initially
to get them used to using contour line to begin with. They look at the
wrinkles in the skin and how the lines needed to convey them follow the
curve of the fingers, as well as the overlapping of the various parts of the
hand depending on the pose being drawn.

In addition, examples of contour line drawings by a number of different
artists are also shown.

We then define what a still life, figurative and landscape are. Additional
practice time and instruction is given in how the various elements in those
compositions can be attended to. The students use photographs for reference
in doing the landscape drawing and the figurative drawing. I have still
life set ups in the room for them to use on the 3rd composition.

After the contour drawings are done, I allow them to use color pencil to add
some additional highlights to the compositions.

Hope this helps.

Kevan

---