Free time activities

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 20:31:24 PDT

Last year, Marty offered "Drawing Drawer" to the list ...it was so popular
that I posted it to my site:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/drdrawer.htm

Try "what's inside your locker" fantasy project -- 12x18 paper folded
vertically - locker drawing on outside -- use imagination for inside (good
substitute plan too -- I think I got this one from Yvette).

I like Bunki's surreal hands, too. There are other ideas that can be
adapted from Bunki's site (and other list member sites). I print off the
student example - and write up brief instructions. I tell them they have to
do the free time activities with out extra instruction so I can help the
rest of the class finish their assigned projects.

Wouldn't it be great if middle schoolers all finished at the same time?
Without any study hall time for kids to come in -- I always have to have
some extra projects going for those who finish early (my projects go for
several days). Generally, I try to have the extra project relate to the one
they just completed. For instance, 6th graders who finished their Haitian
jungles early, designed a personal flag (like the Haitian beaded flags)
expressing their personal beliefs and values thru symbols. They used the
overwriter markers on them too (created a bead like pattern with dots) .

Judy

---