Best practice- an idea

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 09:10:54 PDT

Hi All, I was thinking about the lack of resources to find information
on Best Practices in Art education and it occurred to me that this IS
the perfect place to compile a list of best practices in art ed. What
if we each contributed one idea that we felt was truly a best practice?
I would like to post these on my school web site when finished, This
list has the years of experience necessary and background in art
education to create this list.( of best practices )
Anyway, I would be willing to gather this info and organize it into a
format- of elementary, middle and secondary levels. and make it
available to all. What does everyone think.?
For starters, I think an obvious best practice that isn't stated in a
document anywhere that I know of is:
Art Lessons are age appropriate. ( Now I know that this is a no
brainer, but I don't think it is stated in a best practice anywhere, and
what we think of as no brainers, are not evident or considered by those
outside of art education.)
Another that comes to mind, is to use the community as a resource for
materials, support and ideas..
I feel kind of strongly that we can make a valid list- together. After
all, I feel that we ARE the experts in what does work and what doesn't
work, and what is the best way to teach art ed. I am frustrated when I
do read something that says it's a best practice, and it has no
relevance for my school population, let alone it's feasibility with
materials, time etc. Most of the things that I have discovered on the
limited material about best practices, is that it was a best practice
for a certain time and place with given resources. I would like to see
specifics,but something that could be easily incorporated by all.
Okay, let me know what you think- I have thick skin. Betsy

---