Re: special needs student

---------

From: Sara Scheid (scheidsa3_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 00:10:57 PDT

For the deaf special needs student from a foreign country.
Classes for special needs student are to be of benifit by federal law.
The student needs to stabilize and learn copying skills.
You may have to have an aggreement with the aid that the student leave the
art room to the hall each time she starts to laugh only to return when she
stops laughing. Have a desk and chair in the hall.
Catch the student being quiet and give her colored clay to shape.
Give the aid lesson plans for her to do with the student that are quick
and very successful. Create a art journal that has beauitful pictures for
her to look at, bag of beads for her to string, take pictures of her
working and put in the jounal. Go slow don't push.
When you see her come to school or see her a lunch go up close and give
warmth.Gently say I am so happy to see you.You are going to develop into a
GREAT art student. Smile.and say You are getting better. Make sure she can
see your face when you speak.
She needs WARMTH.
Inclusive is not always appropriate for a student to learn.
As her Art Teacher you need to be part of her individual education plan
which is called an IEP. There should be IEP objectives and goals written
up for her attenting Art Class. Ask to be at her IEP meetings and
evaluations.
There is an Federal Agency who helps this type of student that can give
you
help. I need to do research. I have been out out the game for a while.
I have taught art to special needs students and worked with the LEARNING
DISABILITY ASSOCIATION.

Sara Scheid

scheidsa3@home.com

A great WEB site for special students is LDONLINE.

---