Discipline Based Art Education defined

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 19:11:52 PDT

Apparently LeAnn was thrown by something I said in my earlier post today
about DBAE....She is absolutely correct.

Discipline-based art education, advocated by the Getty Education Institute
for the Arts, is an approach to instruction rather than a specific
curriculum. (from the page I got the Grant Wood post -- the links to Getty
are broken)

From Eric:
Discipline Based Art Education, defined by ERIC is "art education that
draws its content from the four foundational art disciplines of art
production, art history, art criticism, and aesthetics, rather than
emphasizing art production (studio experiences) alone".

My whole curriculum is designed around DBAE -- I purchase materials that
integrate with the core curriculum so that my classes enhance learning in
the core....Along with DBAE -- I integrate career education (not all art
careers are about making art). I build onto resources each year - Add
resources from artists and cultures that interest me -- Now I have a great
collection. One of the other aspects of DBAE -- is integrating art across
the curriculum. Many of our core teachers have attended training in DBAE.

And....this is from a post I made last summer:

"Discipline Based Art Education is the teaching of Art as a valued academic
subject through focusing on all of Art's Disciplines in the teaching
process..... Art Aesthetics, Art History, Art Production, and Art
Criticism.
Students, who are taught Art in this manner, consistent with the Getty
Foundation for the Arts Suggested Curriculum Standards, receive a well
rounded background in and appreciation for the Arts" (I copied this
definition from: http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/8025/ )

Here are some Getty links:
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/ArtsEdNet/Resources/Sampler/index.html

Well....maybe that will save you from any debate LeAnn.... I think that
sums what DBAE is up pretty well. The list member who posted the request
was looking for resources other than Getty... and curriculum materials
other than Getty.

Judy Decker

---