Curriculum Planning -- Discipline Based Art Education

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 14:10:46 PDT

I found this quote -- kind of nice. The page contained links to DBAE
(Discipline Based Art Ecucation) -- but most were broken.

"The aim of art education in the public schools is not to make more
professional artists but to teach people to live happier, fuller lives; to
extract more out of their experience, whatever that experience may be."
  -- Grant Wood, "Art in the Daily Life of the Child"

I have several links on my site for curriculum planning:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/arted.htm

The most important thing with DBAE and Cultural Education is to start with
cultures that interest you -- collect materials -- then build the following
years (I learn more each year-- it is fun!). I personally have many
materials collected for Africa, Native American Art and Mexican art (print
materials collected for others too - Greek- Roman - Egyptian -- and more -
mainly from National Georgraphics). Each year I add more. Now I get more
material via the web than through books ane magazines (one runs out of
space for books more quickly --- besides collecting resources via the
internet is much more economical). When I teach various cultures, I hit the
"big ideas". I never expect my students to remember exact dates -- or names
of all the different cultural groups -- but general information. We look at
beliefs and values and how those are expressed through their art. We look
at similarities and how there is a sharing of ideas....we look at common
needs ...and so forth. I also do Internet lessons with every unit (those
who can not read well-- read the pictures).

I try to get a video that enhances every unit that gives a good overview
for the students to help them understand the cultures. Since I get all of
my special needs students mainstreamed, I have many who can not read well--
but fortunately all of mine can see and hear. Videos give them the
knowledge the need to understand the people.

DBAE is not the only way for good art education -- just one of the many
good ways to teach art that are out there. Don't overwhelm yourself --- you
do what you can each year. Collaboration is the best way to build
resources-- hook up with another teacher in your area and pool resources.

For other sites on DBAE - enter "Discipline Based Art Education" on your
search engine (use the quotations marks).

For curriculum ideas try "Art Curriculum Guide" for starters....then maybe
"Middle School Art Curriculum".....there are all sorts of ways to find
online resources.

Judy Decker

---