Re: Clyfford Still exhibition and review: DBAE-- how does this work?

---------

From: Linda Burke (lburke2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 12:00:33 PDT

 Hi everyone,

I am new to Artsednet and mostly listen or rather read the postings. I am in my third career and now getting my MEd in art education at George Washington University.

My teacher is great! We are going over the DBAE and I had already learned about this standard for all of the great e-mails from artsednet teachers over the past year. I have been reading and saving and printing much of the material you all refer to in your postings. It's been great for me and has given me a wonderful jump start to my art education degree.

Can anyone help me understand the DBAE standard of cultural context? I understand it's meaning in however, when applying it to a lesson plan or say a critical review of an art exhibit (which is my assignment) I go a bit blank.

 How do you know without extensive research the cultural context of all these individual artists, movements??

I visited the Hirshhorn Museum and will write a critical review on the recent Clyfford Still exhibit, which is my part of the assignment. The part I am to concentrate on is the cultural context of the assignment. It sounds easy but I am a bit baffled. Of all artists I know nearly nothing of Clyfford Still. More importantly the cultural context of his artwork. I have tried to do some research on the www but most critics do not write about the cultural context except that abstract expressionism began as a result of the post-war era. What is the best way to research the religious or ideological forces or the social or moral order of the artists work??

Do any of you experienced art educators have a more concrete idea as to what I should be focusing on?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Linda in Leesburg, VA.

---