Re: Marbleizing

---------

Iteachart7_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Sep 29 2001 - 06:48:02 PDT

In a message dated 9/28/01 1:37:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
design18@yahoo.com writes:

> My school (K-5) is doing a fundraiser making marbleized bookmarks for the
> victim's families of the Sept 11 tragedy. I used to use a product called
> Marblethix but it is discontinued. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
> I'll be doing this with 120 children (25 at a time, with parental help)

Try this very safe, non-toxic method-I use shaving cream as the suspension
agent and liquid water color in a spray bottle- You can water down tempera
to the right consistancy too-make sure you have fine mist spray bottles- and
real cheap shaving foam-I can get Barbersol on sale for 69 cents a can!

procedures:

I use plastic trays and lay down about an inch of shaving cream. Use your
hand to even it out, like frosting a cake! Then, you spray the color onto
the foam. It works best when the colors are layed next to- not on top of
each other. I limit them to 3 colors at a time. Then, with any kind of tool
(popsicle stick, paint brush handle, pick, etc...) you draw throught the
color and the foam. You can swirl randomly or methodically to create your
patterns. Next. lay your paper (any kind works-copy, drawing,
constuction-even dark colors) on the foam-gently rub the surface to transfer
the design-be carful not to press to the bottom of the tray- your just
lifting off the surface. Pull the paper off the foam and lay foam side up on
the table. Next take a stiff card or squeege and scrap the foam off the
paper. WOW is always the remark!
YOu can use the same foam a couple of times. when it gets to "dirty looking"
add a new layer of foam. It's good, clean fun!
Peace
Gabrielle

---