Re: Fabulous clay

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 23:09:08 PDT

I was about to save vicki's idea when lo and behold, I came across the
original directions (I think) in my files (which are sometimes like the
great black hole in space). Cheryl
++++++++++++++++
Subject: Re: double pinch pot fish lesson
From: Marand10@aol.com
Directions:

Materials:
Toolpicks for scoring
Clay
Found objects for impressing textures
Slip - watered down clay

Make two, same size pinch pots but keep the wall thickness about 1/2 to
3/4" THICK
Scratch/score the wall edges of each pinch pot but only from position
12:00-12:35. Apply slip and press the two pots together, edge to edge but
leaving the 12:35-1:00 section UNSCORED and OPEN. (this will become the
WIDE MOUTH!) You have created a hollow sphere shape with a MOUTH. Smooth
out the seam and if necessary add a "worm" of clay around the seam to make
it easier.

Now, add some slab cut shapes for fins, and pinch some LIPS.........add
some eyeballs ...either relief or recessed...........TEXTURE as desired to
create scales... texture the fins .......... use clay props if necessary
until clay is leather hard state. Do not score the props and they WON'T
stick.

I taught for years and my kids loved this project..........Mar
>On Fri, 28 Sep, vicki ranck wrote:
>>I got a lesson here sometime last year. . . I can't find the
>>letter i downloaded, so i can't tell you whose idea it is, but it is someone
>>on this list.

---