Clay boxes - clay projects

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 18:47:23 PDT

Keep the art history content in your projects.... I feel that is important,
too. I do projects very similar to those you presented in your post. I
won't say 100% of mine go home ---- but the majority do.... it is more an
attitude problem -- that "art isn't cool"-- in the middle school -- boys
are more likely to have this "idea".

With most of them, it is the parents' attitude that causes this....If the
child has heard "What am I supposed to do with that?!" when he brings
something home -- chances are he won't bring any home again...See what I
mean? I know they say this.... I heard one say that about a family totem
vessel that one of my students did (it was in the art show -- I haven't
made that project since -- yet my sample holds a place of honor in my
house -- My son is the bottom figure -- that is the most important position
in a totem pole. Maybe that student of mine was able to explain her totem
pole to her parent?).

I have many clay projects on the school server site:
http://elms.elida.k12.oh.us/~jdecker/studart.htm
There are a few on the WCOIL site:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/studart.htm

Hope this helps,