Re: Image and written word

---------

From: krista hagan (khagan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 18:19:05 PDT

Sorry it took so long to respond (I was observed and had back to school
night this week, so I am just now reading e-mails from Tues.
Here are some of the poems from my 6th graders:

* "A New City" -(totally brought tears to my eyes)
Two long black cylinders stood high and tall
Fell like springy things I like
I hate the smell of brown smoke
Now all that's left is soft and hard dust
All the phones were busy-it wasn't cool
It looked like a short, dry desert
But now, everything is clean and new
The tall cylinders are as tall as it was
A new city

*"A Totem Pole of Me"

The flowers in the spring
The bright colors of yarn, ribbons, beads, and even some confetti
The soft cotton balls remind me of the soft snow floating in the air and
onto the ground
Fish swimming just like me
Stars floating
Beautiful, colorful peacock feathers and a flag to show I love
my country
All these things are me

*The blue and white lettering goes across the wavy lines
The changing of its shapes makes a crunchy noise
The noise of a drum roll in the background, then the clinky
sound mixing in
The shinyness reflects the burning bright sun
The bumpyness gives off a weird-feeling texture
The feeling on the other side is like sandpaper

*The shiny surface of the glittering sea glimmers as the sun sets and
the sky meets the water
As I rubbed the warm and soft sand through my hands, the rough waves
crept onto the sand
The emptiness of the beach feels weird
The curly seaweed floats along with the waves for an endless journey
with the sea
The crushed pieces of shells all washed up on the shore

*The stars are sparkley
The moon looks like a ball that can bounce
The sun looks yellow, like flowers in the spring
Space looks like a very big family

(I don't know why, but this is my favorite- I love the last line)
*A cool alien who is smooshy inside when a dog attacks me,
but I'm still hard
I'm gray
Green soup from my green goo
And when I got kicked with the shoe, I went all gold

-(she had a little toy alien that her dog liked to play with, a sneaker,
and a large cup)

Enough poems. Sorry for writing so much. I would love to share all, but
don't worry, I'm not about to write 50 poems. Thanks for letting me
share!
-Krista

---