Measurable goals - for any grade - any subject

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 18:15:28 PDT

Well, since Jeanie is my friend (and "family")..... I just had to see what
I could find online....it seems this is what many schools are doing now for
"improvement" Many list this as a "positive" or "strength" in their
curriculum planning...however -- only one bothers to mention any of those
"measurable goals" --- and those are very general.
http://www.peaktopeak.org/proposal.shtml

I personally had to create measurable goals for myself (the "measurable"
part was new for this year).....but have not been required to do so for my
students..... How about this one?

My goal....80% to 90% of my students will enjoy art. I will measure this by
the number of times they smile as they enter the class and then will count
the smiles during class.....I will keep a tally for each student.

Another good one -- 80% of my students will get through the nine weeks
(twelve for me) without ruining their clothes (easy to measure -- I no
longer have enough paint shirts for a whole class --- smile). Record each
days those who get boo-boos.

Now seriously....I would take a look at your curriculum guide.... Look at
the areas that are most important to you -- and aspects that you can
measure. "Appreciation" and "Aesthetics" may be more difficult to measure
than art content (vocabulary) and skills (such as color mixing). While
students may be able to get 80% right on a vocabulary test --- does that
mean they can apply those skills? To me, in art knowing how to apply those
skills/vocabulary is more important --- but measuring that with an
objective test would be more difficult.

The way I would approach this, would be to talk to the high school teacher
and see what skills/concepts they feel are most important for the students
to have coming into high school and then go from there.

PLEASE, do save a file of all of the great ideas you get off list....We may
need them later....This idea may be catching on all over the country soon.
Every one knows art teachers don't have to work very hard (smile) -- so
this would be the perfect thing to get us to put forth a little more effort
(giggle).

Thanks Jeannie for bringing this up -- maybe there will be some good ideas
out there.

Judy Decker

---