Re: Teaching time

---------

From: Dave Wuerffel (wuerfeld_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 15:59:09 PDT

    It is possible, but it will take some time to retrain the kids. Have the
kids come into the room quietly, don't allow them to be seated right away.
Greet them and explain what you'll be doing that period. Assign each seat a
number and have each # responsible to collect a particular material. Of
course, the materials must be easily accessible, labeled and not all in a
congested spot. If you are doing a demo call them up by table number (based
on how quiet they are)..we all know elementary kids like to be first. Do
your demo, etc. and let them get to work. You should have close to 20
minutes to work, if you allow about 5 for clean-up. Assign particular
numbers certain clean up duties and when they are finished tdirect them to
take their seats quietl. Then allow them to line up based on how well they
cleaned up and how quietly they are sitting.
    Organization and having them help you with particulars will save you
time. If they come in making a lot of noise, direct them to return to the
hall and reenter. Most will want to have a lot of time in art and will learn
to do things right in a short time. You need to teach and reteach the
behaviors you wish to see in the classroom. These aren't my ideas, but I
used them and they work. I learned these ideas from a marvelous art teacher,
Dr. Wagner, and she only has a few more minutes than you do. Try it!
Jayne
----- Original Message ----- they'll be doing that dayFrom:
<Rdunkelart@aol.com>