Re: Getty Archives

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 08:15:44 PDT

Heyjude5270@aol.com wrote:

> Can someone give me some pointers for using the Getty archives? I'm
> looking for info on Pre-Columbian and Mexican art. When I plug either of
> these terms in the search, I only get the most recent posts and few,if
> any, have anything to do with, or even mention the subject.

If you're going through the Web interface, where you log in with your
address and password, you will get only the most recent messages. Go
through the "regular" Web page http://www.artsednet.getty.edu and try
searching by month (tedious, indeed).

A lot of the problems have to do with the way the subject lines are
worded: "Need Help," "Help!," "Read this," etc. sorts of headings do not
clarify the true subject. Likewise, the digest people who simply hit
Reply and leave the digest date as the subject line. Not to mention the
fact we have a tendency to...er....get off-track in our discussions. If
someone replies to a post, and the reply is starting to veer into
another subject, they should word the subject line thusly: Color mixing
(was: Best paint to order?).

We've said this before, and it probably can't be repeated too
often--make your subject line fit your message, please.

Maggie

---