special needs student

---------

From: Sally & Mike Engle (salnmike_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 05:15:36 PDT

Anyone have any ideas for teaching a child who does not speak Engleis, is deaf and doesn't sign yet, and has been adopted from another country 9situation grim) where she was not able to socialize? She has no frame of reference and can't handle it when she doesn't understand what's being said or done. Her way of dealing with it in the state-run orphanage she was in - laugh. So now she is laughing for forty minutes during my class. (5th grade) I really want her to get something out of Art classes, but as it stands now, even with an interpreter to help her she is really getting nothing. I suggested we put her in with the younger classes so that she can create and feel good about class. She is already taken out of her classroom for developmentally appropriate classes in language and Math. Of course, they hearing impaired teacher feels she needs to be with kids in her class. I'm starting to feel like they think art class is a nothing crafty place and this girl can just sit and absorb, nothing lost. That's not the
 way I feel. I want her where she can learn about art, learn to create and use art.
     Any suggestions? Ideas? Opinions? ARGHH!!!!!!!!
Peace,
Sally^.^

---