don't worry - I'm OK

---------

From: Jean Eger Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 21:02:30 PDT

Paulette, thanks for telling us your eyewitness account of the September 11
disaster. My San Francisco high school students were all affected by this.
Some of them made condolence cards and exacted from me a promise to actually
send them. Can I send them to you to give to your students? Please send me
your address by email to jeaneger@jeaneger.com. Thanks.
Jean Eger Womack

> Subject: don't worry - i'm ok
> From: "Paulette Keck" <tcsfp@hotmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 20:50:03 -0400
>
> Marty and everyone else,
>
> This is Paulette and yes, I am ok. I am sorry that its taken me 10 days to
> respond, but i've had some trouble gaining access to a computer and then
> this list. Like for everyone, its been a really strange two weeks. I was
> going to try to post to the list tonight anyway, but when I saw this
> message, I figured I'd better check in right away.
>
> I teach in Brooklyn in a 'new to me' high school and I live near Times
> Square. On the 11th, we were about 2 miles away and students that were on
> the third and fourth floors actually watched the disaster. My room is on
the
> second floor so I had my radio on and when the towers fell we were
showered
> with ash for a short time. I was able to get a subway home @3:30, and I
will
> never forget seeing the the huge patch of smoke going over the
neighborhood.
> I saw things sparkling in the sky and then realized that they were office
> papers still falling. I was lucky enough to not have lost anyone I know.
One
> of my fellow teachers however, lost a boyfriend and many of my students
lost
> people they know.
>
> I know this may sound strange, but even living here it didn't seem real.
In
> fact, it only really hit me with full force last Friday. With a view over
> 42nd Street, the Javits Center and the path the rescuers take into the
city,
> I've realized that this isn't going away. Not like I expected it to, but
> seeing it every day, sirens blaring constantly to get people where they
need
> to be, the flags EVERYWHERE and police barricades in my path, its going
> deeper into the layers, you know? And there's only so much you can take
> before you want to scream.
>
> In the art classes, we made collages, which I think was a good thing
> considering I had just met my students the week before and they didn't
quite
> feel cofortable discussing the events with me yet. And for that project,
we
> were able to find some large green bulletin board paper!!
>
> Anyway, thanks for thinking of me. I'll keep in touch and soon be
responding
> to all the wonderful people that have been kind enough to e-mail
suggestions
> about my supplies problem.
>
> talk to you soon,
> paulette
>

> >Paulette Keck are you okay?
> >I ask this because Paulette lives in NYC and teaches art. Please respond
> >Paulette so we all know you are okay.
> >Thinking of you.
> >Marty

---