RE: Teaching art to a blind student

---------

From: Mr Perry John Schafer (pschafer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2001 - 01:51:40 PDT

 I once had to teach photography to a blind student. She had to view
everything through a small telescope. You will probably be amazed at some
(not all) of the results that your student will achieve. I would work large
(State'n the bleed'n obvious here I guess) a sheet of litho maybe. Stick
with the primaries (or gradations thereof), initially at least. Use large
blocks of solid colour and hard edges for the perspective stuff to start
with, it will be interesting to see the response. I don't imagine that
perspective plays a huge part in her life (to the point that it is
irrelevant). It may be a difficult concept for her to get a hold on. I
wouldn't push it down her throat though, it's only a convention after all.
It's not as though it actually exists. You will probably really start to
enjoy this student when you get into some more tactile work. Good luck.

            Perry

---