don't worry - i'm ok

---------

From: Paulette Keck (tcsfp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 17:50:03 PDT

Marty and everyone else,

This is Paulette and yes, I am ok. I am sorry that its taken me 10 days to
respond, but i've had some trouble gaining access to a computer and then to
this list. Like for everyone, its been a really strange two weeks. I was
going to try to post to the list tonight anyway, but when I saw this
message, I figured I'd better check in right away.

I teach in Brooklyn in a 'new to me' high school and I live near Times
Square. On the 11th, we were about 2 miles away and students that were on
the third and fourth floors actually watched the disaster. My room is on the
second floor so I had my radio on and when the towers fell we were showered
with ash for a short time. I was able to get a subway home @3:30, and I will
never forget seeing the the huge patch of smoke going over the neighborhood.
I saw things sparkling in the sky and then realized that they were office
papers still falling. I was lucky enough to not have lost anyone I know. One
of my fellow teachers however, lost a boyfriend and many of my students lost
people they know.

I know this may sound strange, but even living here it didn't seem real. In
fact, it only really hit me with full force last Friday. With a view over
42nd Street, the Javits Center and the path the rescuers take into the city,
I've realized that this isn't going away. Not like I expected it to, but
seeing it every day, sirens blaring constantly to get people where they need
to be, the flags EVERYWHERE and police barricades in my path, its going
deeper into the layers, you know? And there's only so much you can take
before you want to scream.

In the art classes, we made collages, which I think was a good thing
considering I had just met my students the week before and they didn't quite
feel cofortable discussing the events with me yet. And for that project, we
were able to find some large green bulletin board paper!!

Anyway, thanks for thinking of me. I'll keep in touch and soon be responding
to all the wonderful people that have been kind enough to e-mail suggestions
about my supplies problem.

talk to you soon,
paulette