The American Flag in Contemporary Art

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 25 2001 - 14:01:53 PDT

Maggie White was fortunate to take her students to see this exhibit when it
was in Phoenix.... She sent me this information about the book/exhibit
catalog.
http://artscenecal.com/ArticlesFile/PhoenixMsmFile/PAMOldGlory.html

From Maggie:

The book is titled Old Glory, The American Flag in Contemporary Art
 http://www.phxart.org/store/catalogs.html#glory ) It was produced by the
Cleveland Center for Contemporary. Some of the more well-known artists
featured are Diane Arbus, Robert Frank, Luis Jimenez, Jasper Johns (four
works), Donald Lipski, Robert Mapplethorpe, Ralph Eugene Meatyard, Faith
Ringgold, Larry Rivers, Claes Oldenburg, and Tom Wesselman. Most of the
images are pretty straightforward .... some carry symbolic messages that
would create discussion.

---