homemade "thin paste" for papier-mâché

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 22:15:49 PDT

papier-mâché, home made paste
    (printed/summarized with permission from Mudworks (book))

Thin Paste
Mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1$ cup flour, and 1/2 t. alum i a pan. Add 1 cup water
gradually, stirring vigorously. Boil until clear and smooth, stirring often.
Add 3/4 cup water and oil of cinnamon (oil is optional). Ssitr. Spread with
a brush or tongue depressor. Great for papier-mâché. Use with Soft
Papier-Mâché instead of white glue.
soft papier-mâché

One papier-mâché recipe I like is kind of an off shoot of newspaper
papier-mâché, and uses facial tissues mixed with white glue (or Thin Paste,
see above). Crumble pieces of napkins or tissue and cover with white glue.
Hand mix and squish by hand. Then model the goop to desired shape, or cover
other things like boxes, tubes, blocks, etc. Dry thoroughly. Can be painted.
Using colored tissues is a nice touch.

---