Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: HELP-art stories needed for literacy program at school

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 21:53:13 PDT

from: Bunki Kramer (
Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
art webpage -

>From: "Kevin Lock" <>
> Though the students are at
> the 9-10 grade level, their reading levels range from 3-8 on average. In
> order to help out, i would like to use art stories in the classroom. Art
> History textbooks are usually at too high of a reading level for our
> students. I am looking for stories that range from 1-4 pages in length.
> They can be funny,anecdotal, or even just offering different views. The
> stories should be easy to read for the above grade levels. If anyone knows
> of resources on the web or of any books on art history that are used for
> younger grades, please drop me a line with the info. > Thanks> Kevin

Check out the "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists" series by Mike
Venezia. The books cost around $6.95 each and it is a great series. I often
pick up funny or interesting tidbits from these books for my art history
connections. I would say it's about 3rd grade level but interesting reads.
The one on Picasso is ISBN# 0-516-42271-5. These are smaller soft-bound
books. Lots of pictures too and funny drawings. Toodles....Bunki