HELP-art stories needed for literacy program at school

---------

From: Kevin Lock (kevin.lock_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 18:24:33 PDT

Hi all, havent been on in a while, I need your help though.

My school has started a literacy program to help our students prepare for
the province wide literacy test. I am in need of short stories of famous
(or not so famous) artists. I am teaching art at a technical(trade) school
with students that are at lower reading levels. Though the students are at
the 9-10 grade level, their reading levels range from 3-8 on average. In
order to help out, i would like to use art stories in the classroom. Art
History textbooks are usually at too high of a reading level for our
students. I am looking for stories that range from 1-4 pages in length.
They can be funny,anecdotal, or even just offering different views. The
stories should be easy to read for the above grade levels. If anyone knows
of resources on the web or of any books on art history that are used for
younger grades, please drop me a line with the info.

Thanks

Kevin

---