RE: Art Ed and War

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 05:40:54 PDT

My students have recently completed a 4'x6' American flag. I have 60
advanced art/AP students that came up with the idea, drew out a template,
cut it into 60 individual pieces, assigned the pieces to be collaged and
then put it all back together. The result is a stunning flag that each
student contributed to. Out themes were love (red), peace (white) and hope
(blue). While it may seem trite to do such an obvious image, it was the
students idea and therefore important to them. Today, my students are
signing the flag and we are working on a contact in Manhatten. They want to
send the flag to another high school to send the message that we care.

Becky in NC

My response to art ed and war is do what is important to the kids and let
them learn that art is a valuable and necessary means of communication
especially when words themselves aren't enough.