Re: Art Ed and War

---------

From: Sally & Mike Engle (salnmike_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 09:29:57 PDT

Well said Larry and Kathy,
    One of the big things our curriculum is to show the relevance of art to
life. To me, that means I need to fit the needs of the moment as well as the
needs of the future.
    Thanks to all who posted Liberty sites and ideas. The brain is spinning
with that one. Of course, me being me, those ideas also sparked a new one.
I'm going to pull out all the patriotic posters I can find and have the
fifth graders do designs of their own. I found a site on the web that sells
them - a lot of Warren Kimble and Spirit of '76, etc. - but the thumbnails
won't enlarge to allow viewing for my classes. Anybody have a site that
would feature these posters?
    The artists who created these works made a statement and illustrated our
history. I figure that by allowing my kids to make a statement and
illustrate their history, I'm teaching valuable lessons in art. :-)
Sally^.^

---