Patriotic Themes - Norman Rockwell

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 09:20:09 PDT

I found LOTS of images from the site I posted yesterday and am in the
process of finding better quality images for some of them.

Here is the site http://www.doubletakeart.com/ -- search by one word from
title (even if you do not know the title) many works will come up that
contain that word in the title. (for example: I just search for Uncle Sam
and found an image by Warhol).

Since I have a former student entering a contest on the theme of
"Democracy" I searched for Rockwell first (fits best with her style of
art).

Rockwell - Four Freedoms
http://nmaa-ryder.si.edu/collections/exhibits/posters/freedoms.html

Rockwell - Four Freedoms
http://phoenix.about.com/library/blrockwell1.htm
http://phoenix.about.com/library/weekly/aa031201a.htm (brief bio)

Four Freedoms
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~ding/freedom.html

Norman Rockwell Museum
http://www.nrm.org/

Pictures of the American People
http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/1aa/1aa103.htm

Here is an online lesson that I found interesting.
"Selling the American Dream" (long URL - copy and paste)
http://www.history-matters.org/TACT/selling%20the%20american%20dream/propag
anda.htm
Or click from this page..
http://www.history-matters.org/TACT/

Norman Rockwell (Thanks Kevan for sending this one!)
http://www.rockwelltour.org/frameset.html

Norman Rockwell on the Internet (Thanks Kevan for sending this one!)
http://artcyclopedia.com/artists/rockwell_norman.html

Small "Uncle Sam" image (Thanks Kevan for sending this one!)
http://www.djarrett.com/rockwell/nr-029t.jpg
http://www.normanrockwellvt.com/cgi-bin/shopper.exe

Golden Rule
http://www.lewisbond.com/rckwellpgs/psters/gold_rule.html

Most Famous Poster -" I Want You" -- by James Montgomery Flagg :
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/treasures/trm015.html

History of Uncle Sam
http://home.nycap.rr.com/content/us_bio.html
http://home.nycap.rr.com/content/us_contents.html (site by David R. Smith)

Rockwell Quotes:
"My fundamental purpose is to interpret the typical American. I guess I am
a story teller."

"I showed the America I knew and observed to others who might not have
noticed." - Norman Rockwell

Judy Decker

P.S. The student I spoke about is studying to become a forensic artist.
This past summer, she took a class in forensic art and drew portraits
solely from description -- they were amazing!!! She credits her middle
school art teacher for taking an interest in her and pushing her to excel
in art....That middle school teacher was ME... I just had to post this
because some of my middle school parents are spreading a rumor that "art is
going to be eliminated from the middle school curriculum"...They are
telling their children that "Art serves no purpose in the middle school". I
have had many other former students go into an art related field -- this is
just the most recent. I have contacted my administrators and our district
curriculum advisor to make sure there wasn't something said that I missed
(smile)...and will try again to call the parents who are telling this to
their children. No wonder my students are not motivated! I told you before
I was battling negative attitudes towards the visual arts......

---