Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Patriotic Themes - Norman Rockwell

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 09:20:09 PDT

I found LOTS of images from the site I posted yesterday and am in the
process of finding better quality images for some of them.

Here is the site -- search by one word from
title (even if you do not know the title) many works will come up that
contain that word in the title. (for example: I just search for Uncle Sam
and found an image by Warhol).

Since I have a former student entering a contest on the theme of
"Democracy" I searched for Rockwell first (fits best with her style of

Rockwell - Four Freedoms

Rockwell - Four Freedoms (brief bio)

Four Freedoms

Norman Rockwell Museum

Pictures of the American People

Here is an online lesson that I found interesting.
"Selling the American Dream" (long URL - copy and paste)
Or click from this page..

Norman Rockwell (Thanks Kevan for sending this one!)

Norman Rockwell on the Internet (Thanks Kevan for sending this one!)

Small "Uncle Sam" image (Thanks Kevan for sending this one!)

Golden Rule

Most Famous Poster -" I Want You" -- by James Montgomery Flagg :

History of Uncle Sam (site by David R. Smith)

Rockwell Quotes:
"My fundamental purpose is to interpret the typical American. I guess I am
a story teller."

"I showed the America I knew and observed to others who might not have
noticed." - Norman Rockwell

Judy Decker

P.S. The student I spoke about is studying to become a forensic artist.
This past summer, she took a class in forensic art and drew portraits
solely from description -- they were amazing!!! She credits her middle
school art teacher for taking an interest in her and pushing her to excel
in art....That middle school teacher was ME... I just had to post this
because some of my middle school parents are spreading a rumor that "art is
going to be eliminated from the middle school curriculum"...They are
telling their children that "Art serves no purpose in the middle school". I
have had many other former students go into an art related field -- this is
just the most recent. I have contacted my administrators and our district
curriculum advisor to make sure there wasn't something said that I missed
(smile)...and will try again to call the parents who are telling this to
their children. No wonder my students are not motivated! I told you before
I was battling negative attitudes towards the visual arts......