Re: Artist of the Week Correction

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 08:26:45 PDT

Michal,

I copped Woody's idea for this year, since art history didn't get enough
pre-enrollment and was cancelled; this gives me a chance to get some
a.h. in. Although I've always used a variety of artists/cultures to
begin each new unit, I've never focused on a single artist or work
before.

You're right, it IS a lot of work putting together the images and
vocabulary; check out the rest of Woody's page to see what all he does
(it's amazing). Instead of an artist each week, I decided to introduce
an artist for each unit of study. So far, in the three classes, we've
worked with line, shape, value, effigy vessels, symbolic boxes, ordinary
objects as subject. This works out to about every week-and-a-half or
two weeks, and is less intimidating to put together. I made a worksheet
for them to use, somewhat different from Woody's (I teach HS). The
students have an out-of-class assignment for each artist which includes
sketching and writing a very brief statement or essay.

Maggie

The Austin's wrote:

> I am so impressed. This sounds like a tremendous amount of work tho - have
> you always had 3 artists per week? I think I need to start this with both my
> middle and high school - that is, if I can figure out the logistics of doing
> it within my timeframe. :-)
> ~Michal

---