Re: Image and word-HS

---------

From: klmvisarts (klmvisarts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 07:12:48 PDT

Jan,
I am currently wrapping up a text and image collage lesson (grades 9-12
mixed). Students begin by writing an acrostic using their first name. Then
they begin a collage. Their objective is to use the text as part of the
image. Both text and image must work together. Some write very poetic
pieces, others abstract words. They often revise the acrostic as they
collect or create images. They can use appropriated images as well as their
own photography and drawings. Words can be hand written, partially covered
to create a voyeuristic feel, printed using a variety of fonts, cut out or
torn. Some students created a frame with the text others glued them right
into the image. Many students reflected on last weeks events through this
assignment. It seems as they collected images, their words became stronger,
with some very powerful results. Hope this helps.

Also check out Barbara Kruger as an exemplar...
Her work might take you in another vein.
Kerry

Sample Acrostic...

Kind moments
Ever close to me