Re: Art Ed and War

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 07:04:43 PDT

In a message dated 09/23/2001 6:40:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lseiler@ez-net.com writes:

> Art is a vehicle that allows artists to go inward and discover their own
> thoughts about things. This is an incubation period that thereafter
> produces visual expressions. My thinking is that the main purpose of the
> arts in education is art "appreciation"....and much of that has to be to
> help the students understand what it would be like to be an artist. How
> hard is life for the artist? What kind of things do artists think about?
> What kind of sacrifices do artists make to develop their talents and try to
> make a living at the same time? How do surroundings affect how the artist
> sees and responds, which would include dramatic and major events? Where do
> artists sense their value and purpose in such times as these?

Thank You Larry... Teaching advanced art in HS, I leave the "theme" up to my
students. Their given a media to work with or maybe a directive such as "the
figure" to work with -but they are to develop a strong composition in any
direction they would choose. I had opened this option to them- War, Peace,
Disaster, Patriotism etc. It is not forced upon them. We have had
discussions on the effect that art has upon society specifically Art made
during national conflicts. They seem to get very inspired!
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---