Islamic art = Chinese checkers game

---------

From: FRANCIS REDFERN (nredfern_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 06:30:56 PDT

I have started several semesters of middle school students with learning
to use to compass and learning about Islamic art. This semester I
dreamed up an extension to the compass activites and tried it in class
with much success.

After learning how to make a six pointed star with the compass using a 5
inch radius, the students painted a 12 inch square of matboard ( we get
lots donated to our school and I'm always looking for ways to use it)
with black acrylic paint. Then the students drew their six pointed
starts on the matboard.
Then we discussed the color wheel and primary/secondary colors (could go
further with intermediate colors etc.) Using and mixing acrylic paint
they painted in the star according to the order on the color wheel.
They also added their own designs in the middle of and around the
outside of the star.
AFter drying, the students used a template I had prepared by
photocopying a Chinese Checkers game. We used sticky tack to temporarily
attach the template to the matboard. Using push pins the students poked
holes in the appropriate places to form the gameboard of the Chinese
Checkers game.
I sprayed the boards with a shiny gloss finish.
The students then played the Chinese Checkers game using push pins (ten
of each color for each player) as their playing pieces.
The students enjoyed making this project. I sent them home with enough
playing pieces for two people to play the game.

I was so pleased to cover so many concepts in one project.

Nora

---