Re: Statue Of Liberty

---------

From: Vivian Komando (komandv_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 07:50:19 PDT

From the following web page:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~CAP/LIBERTY/lady_frm.html

"We see her everyday of our lives: as Lady Freedom atop
the Capitol dome, an everyday backdrop to the evening
news, or as the Statue of Liberty, flashing across our TV
screens in endless commercials and news spots. The
silent,
blank face of our "lady liberty"--wherever it
appears--has become an omnipresent symbol of freedom to
the people of the United States. We know her
instantaneously, an American reflex built in since
kindergarten.

But how well do we really know her? What does freedom
truly mean? And how has its definition changed for
different groups at different times? Reaching
beyond the stone stares of these two American symbols may
provide some clues to how Americans have perceived their
own liberties and opportunities throughout history.
Intended to stand as one overarching icon of the
greatness of the United States, Lady Liberty today comes
clad in several layers of significance--from the
hypocrisy of slavery to the simultaneous welcome and
rejection of immigrants. By exploring Liberty's
historical and political roots, and by listening to the
varying voices singing and lamenting Lady Liberty, we may
uncover a more comprehensive understanding of how
Americans interpret
liberty."

=====
Increase the Peace ~^~ {^}Each time a (Hu)man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, (s)he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope. Robert F. Kennedy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Visit our High School art Page: http://members.home.net/artzheart