K-5 Patriotic ideas

---------

From: Sally & Mike Engle (salnmike_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 21:40:08 PDT

OK - I've really been hitting the red, white, and blue lessons this week. It
seems to have helped my little get through all the turmoil in their lives.
Helps me, too!
K - I gave them star stencils and had them trace, then color in red and
blue. They were so proud. Each class met the teacher at the door and waved
the stars like mad!
1 - Last year I did a project with string and glue to make an abstract line
piece. I did the same this year, but gave them red. white, and blue yarn.
:-)
2 - Primary color mixing - I gave them thinned red and blue paint and bought
some steel balls, the kind that are actually ammo for a slingshot. We put
paper into a gift box and worked in pairs to drop in the balls coated with
paint and use a magnet to guide it around the paper. They had a ball and the
work was grand.
3 - Cut paper collage - you guessed it! Black paper and they used only red,
white, and blue paper for the composition.
4 - Monet - remember the painting with all the French flags waving on the
side of the street??? Well.... we created a celebration of our own!
5 - I used the wonderful idea posted a while back and they journaled
Freedom. Thank you!
The principal liked it all so much she gave me another bulletin board to
create, so we are going to make handprint fireworks, a Woodrow Wilson quote,
a Bush quote from his speech last night, and lots of multicultural people
and put them all together in a tribute.
A note: the Peace Doves bulletin board is wonderful! All my K-5's have doves
flying in the hall. The staff joined in and I've even had High School kids
come by to ask if they can put a dove on the board. By the time it's done,
it may be double the size of the bulletin board!
It's been a crazy week, and while I didn't ditch my plans entirely I did
adjust them so the kids could do a little venting I have a feeling that
we'll be venting for a while, so keep those ideas coming in! Without you
all, I couldn't get the adjusting done. :-)
Peace,
Sally^.^
Sally ^.^ salnmike@foryou.net

---