Re: Whistles

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 21:18:06 PDT

I'm going to start whistles with my high schoolers next week. We're going
to make ocarinas and then polish with smooth stones and corn oil, decorate
with slip and do a dung firing. Can't wait.

Tonite I went to a little demo of micaeous pottery. The guy, Daniel
Ortega dug the clay in New Mexico--maybe some of you down there are
familiar with it. It has a huge portion of mica which holds heat and
evenly distributes heat. Anyway, he made traditional pots hand spinning
on a puki (sp?) and scraped and rubbed smooth with slip. To fire he put
them right into a fire on a grill and surrounded the pots with sticks.
When they
turned dull red they were finished--he threw on a little horsehair to add
some interest. They are beautiful--a little bit reduced where the sticks
were close. They are cooking pots and you can cook right on the stove
with them--temper first by boiling water for 5 minutes. I'm really
interested in trying to mix some mica into low fire clay and see if it
will work. Anyone know about this? Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #