. RE: Florida art teacher suspended after parents complain

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 18:31:03 PDT

According to the Miami Herald Newspaper:
(and I quote)
   " A Boca Raton art teacher has been suspended for
holding a plastic recorder to a student's neck and
demonstrating how to cut a throat in front of a
classroom to elementary students discussing the attack
on the World Trade Center.Patricia Bowes said she
acted out the demonstration on Sept. 12, the day after
the assault, to answer student questions about how it
was possible for the hijackers to comandeer an
airplane armed only with knives....to demonstarate,
Bowes asked for a student volunteer. Then she
demonstrated, using a plastic recorder, a
clarinet-like instrument she wears around her
neck.....In the Sept. 12 class session, Bowes allowed
students to make crayon drawings of the plane hitting
the towers and bricks falling on children's heads. She
fielded questions about the carnage they had seen on
television.Dr. Paul Kettl, chairman of the psychiatry
department at Penn STate University, said the
teacher's actions were probably appropriate up to the
point that she demonstraated the hijackers' actions.
"Teachers can be helpful in organizing, explaining and
guiding children through this process of grief and
anger that we're all going through." he said. "What is
not appropriate, in my view, is re-enacting an actual
scene of violence."....Bowes, sidelined at home for
four weeks with pay, said she feels terrible about the
reaction her lessons provoked. She said she wanted her
student to work on an autobiographical assignment that
day. It called for them to sketch their life stories.
But students were so distracted by what they had seen
on TV that Bowes told them they could sketch their
observations on the terrorism attacks instead. There
was no intent in my efforts to make anything worse
than the devastation that had already happened."

    Jan in Miami