Re: It is time for me to go

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 18:05:56 PDT

This was a great post, but what caught my attention the most was this statement:

> . Where many see a straight line from
> problem to solution, many of us see so many forks in the road that it
> becomes bewildering.>

> It reminded me of the Papunya Dot paintings that we just finished in 4th gr.

The kids were to illustratea story, using traditional icons of tthe Papunyas. (
Aborigional) They had difficulty illustrating as a design, even after many
examples and were more inclined to to do their illustrations in a 'line'. I had
to laugh when we talked about this as a class, because I reminded them, "We've
been teaching you to write in a line ( linear fashion) since at least 1st grade,
and now I'm asking you to write in a different set of symbols, as a design".
We are so used to thinking in linear directions, and this had been on my mind
for awhile. Does anyone else see their thoughts show up in lessons?

-< I need to think. If I can't think, I
can't teach. >
This also caught my eye, as I must have had 10 students today who wanted me to
"think" for them. That is a never ending battle.